Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Running out of gas!

Last night I stayed in Yreka, California because I had to work in Dorris, California in the morning. I had filled up my gas the day before in the afternoon before I drove up to Yureka. When I got in the car I noticed the gas was low, but I figured I had enough gas to get the Dorris. After I got on the road I realized I had an hour drive to get to the high school and the gas was getting lower and lower. After about 20 minutes the car buzzed telling me it was low on gas. It said I had 50 miles left before empty. There were lots of hills and the gas went down fast.
 As I was realizing I was running out of gas I noticed there were 2 CHP cars behind me. The speed limit was 55 so I put my cruise control at 56 and kept my eye on my rear view mirror. As I was driving up the hills I started sweating that I was going to run out of gas. The closest town was 20 miles away and the car said it had 10 miles until empty. I pulled over to the side of the road and let the CHP cars pass me. There were many trucks on the road and they were going 50 MPH so I pulled in behind them. I noticed my car outside thermometer said 16F. Now I was sweating and scared because my car said 0 miles before empty.
10 miles to the closest town where there was a gas station. Yellow light flashing and my car saying 0 miles till gas is empty. I was hoping the hills would be down and I could coast after the car ran out of gas. Sweat dripping down my face and I was worried it would freeze when I ran out of gas and I would die on the side of the road. The road started going down a little and then leveled out. The road was straight and I could see buildings in front of me. Only 3 miles left, at least it was straight and I wouldn't have to wonder what direction to walk.
I was thinking of pulling to the side of the road with a little gas in the tank so I could stay warm while waiting for AAA. Only a little further and I could see the Shell sign. I made it! I didn't care how much the gas was, it was almost $5.00 per gallon. The lady at the Shell station was the most wonderful person I have seen in a long time. I was so happy. I had started calling AAA two times, I was so sure I was going to freeze on the side of the road because I was dressed for San Jose weather. I am THANKFUL that cars lie!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That must have been quite an experience for you. Running out of gas is perhaps any motorist’s nightmare. Good thing you found a Shell station there or you would’ve definitely walked home. Haha! Maybe next time you can bring a liter of gas in your car’s hood just in case. :)
    Kenny Isbell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a nightmare scenario for most people, yet you have gone through and lived to tell about it. That is most incredible! People shouldn't think that type of stuff is untenable, though. There are refueling services that respond to those kinds of thing, so all should be good. Take care always!

    Abraham Yates @ Apache Oil Company

    ReplyDelete