Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 31, 2013

I got rid of my cats today!

Three years ago on Halloween day I went to the animal shelter and got 2 cats. I wanted an animal around the house to give me company. I lived alone and thought it was bad to be alone all the time. Cats were a great addition to the house. They made me feel like I was responsible for something other than myself and it was nice to come home to something other than an empty house. I got 2 cats since one would get lonely when I'm on the road so much. Things worked out well after I got used to the hair being EVERYWHERE. They would sleep in my bed and they both were different and complemented each other.
When I would wake up one would always be at my feet and the other would be at the head of the bed. When I would sit down one would sit across the room and watch me and the other would jump in my lap. After my shower one would always come to the side of the tub to be petted as I dry myself and the other would sit at the door and watch. Both cats had definitely unique personalities and I could tell which cat would do what in any situation. The hair started driving me crazy, I had cat hair all over the house, on the furniture, on the rug, on the bed, and even in the car which they never rode in. I had guests come over and refuse to sit down since there was cat hair everywhere.
I was still ok with these problems, the cats made me feel like I wasn't alone. I looked forward to come home because I felt like my friends were there. A year ago a woman came over to my house and told me that there was a lot of cat pee in the closet. Over the months I realized how bad it was getting. A few months ago I realize that they were peeing in the hamper, so I had to keep that behind a closed door. I started throwing clothes and bedding away that got too bad and couldn't be cleaned. In the last few weeks the cats decided to really go to war with me. One was peeing everywhere. I caught him peeing in the shower once. Then I saw that he had urinated in the sink. I would clean up after him and scrub and spray with fragrance so it wouldn't be repeated.
Then I found out the cats were urinating on the bed, which I was surprised since I always heard an animal doesn't soil where they sleep. A week ago I found out the cat had peed on the chair I always sit on. I felt sorry for the cat and thought it was a mistake. I cleaned it well and got rid of the smell. The next day I was gone and when I got home there was pee on the chair again. I cleaned it up and put boxes and things on the chair so the cats couldn't get on it. When I came home from my recent trip I found the cats had done it again on my chair. This morning I wasn't even out of the house and when I walked into the living room the cat was on the chair peeing on the top of the chair. I realized then that I had to do something.
This afternoon I went to the shelter I got the cats from and they told me they couldn't guarantee the cats wouldn't be euthanized since most people wants kittens not cats. I said ok. I need to take control of my life again. I am tired of dreading coming home to see what the cats did to my house again. I took the cats back to the shelter today at 5pm. When I came home I threw away the litter boxes and got rid of the food bowls and the scratching post. I vacuumed the carpet and mopped all the floors. This weekend I don't work so I will clean the carpets and the furniture and start getting rid of all the hair. I feel positive about what is going on, but I feel guilty about taking the cats to the shelter. I am very very sad tonight and will find ways not to be alone as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment