Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Music

We usually complain that stores start getting us in the Christmas Spirit too early. Right after Halloween they start decorating stores for Christmas and playing Christmas music and wanting us to start shopping early. Today is December 22, 2 more shopping days left, and I am listening to music in a store that reminds me more of Valentine's Day than Christmas! What happened to Christmas? We all want to be so politically correct and not offend anyone that we forget we have a holiday at all.
Christmas used to be a big deal and it seems to be less and less every year. Houses don't decorate as much, stores try to sell things without really wanting to say why we should buy and exchange gifts, music is more generic and less Christmas oriented. Maybe I just don't see it any more since I am not around kids as much, but I think something is changing and I don't like it. Many people are debating whether we should say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays and instead we say neither. If I went to Korea and they didn't wish me a Happy Chusok I would be offended.
If I went to Ireland and people didn't celebrate St. Patrick's Day around me I would be offended. If I was Moslem and came to America and my Christian friends didn't wish me a Merry Christmas I would be offended. I would be offended if they got upset that I didn't celebrate Christmas, but I wouldn't mind that they did. People try to be so politically correct that they forget how to be morally and normally correct. This is one reason I don't like living in California, or specifically the Bay Area, and people try to figure out what others want rather than state what they want.
Come on, play the Christmas music, wish people Merry Christmas, drink egg nog and wear Santa Hats! Be American and proud we have certain holidays rather than worry who you might offend. No one will be offended unless they are politically and morally incorrect. People should be themselves rather than try to fit into a mold that gets moldy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment