Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Old Neighborhood

Carswell St., our house was just pass the curve
Sometimes you can't go home because the home is no longer there. My father was in the Army when I was younger and we moved around a lot. The last place we lived was Fort Ord, California which was on the Monterey Bay. we lived at 108 Carswell. Now that house has a caved in roof and the street isn't even passable. You can't drive even get to the house any more. The whole neighborhood has been abandoned for about 20 years. Even if I wanted to go home I couldn't go back to this home. We lived there when I was in 5th grade grade until I was in 9th grade.
Reindollar Ave, Marina
When I was in high school my parents bought a house in Marina. We had a big family so they bought a house with 5 bedrooms. Even though at street level it looked like it was only one story, it had a second story that went down the slope of the hill. I lived downstairs and everyone else lived upstairs. I had my own exit out of the house so no one really knew if I was home or not. I liked living in that house. I watched the neighborhood grow up around me. The man across the street didn't like how his yard sloped so steeply that he put up a wall and leveled his yard. My dad did the same kind of thing on the side of our house.
The building my father worked in is abandoned
While we lived in these locations my father went to the Vietnam war and returned. He got our of the military a few years after that and then went worked in Saudi Arabia while I was in college. When he was there my mother moved to Del Rey Oaks where she lived with my father after they returned. We lived in many houses when I was growing up. Each house was my home when I lived in it. Those houses are all different now, some are abandoned, some have different occupants, and some have been changed so much you couldn't recognize them at all.
Lots of ice plant in the area!
Old neighborhoods are more important than old houses. The people in those neighborhoods are also more important than the houses!





No comments:

Post a Comment