Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 8, 2015

May I speak to Captain Phillips please?


Front Door
On Wednesday I got a call from a man that asked if he could speak to Captain Phillips. I haven't been called that for over 25 years. Luckily I knew what the call was about. The day before I had asked to be pre-qualified for a loan to buy a house. I have been living in a mobile home for 14 years. I thought I would look around at houses to see what might be available. When I got pre-qualified they told me they had about a program the bank has to introduce me to a real estate agent that they have screened.
Side View
Since my bank deals with many military families they do them as service since military families move around much. After the call he sent me 2 properties to look at. Since I had planned to be in that area any way I thought I would look at one that I thought was interesting. I didn't really know what I was looking for. I wanted 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom, that wasn't too big since it is only me. I also wanted some grass to feel like it was a family. This home was HUGE, 3 bedrooms and 3 baths.
Great Room
This home is in one of the most dangerous cities in Northern California. It has gone bankrupt so city services may not be so good. It is also has one of the worst school districts in Northern California. Location, Location, Location! I went to look at houses last Sunday and saw one that was small with a cute yard and for very cheap. But, it was very old and little dark, it was also in a bad part of town. I also saw 4 other houses in a good part of town that all had something wrong. They were in a good neighborhood, but there was a lot of noise and many kids.
Gated Entrance
 The house I looked at on Wednesday was not in the best part of town, but it wasn't in a bad part of town. To add to that it is the only gated community I have seen in the area. Inside the gate is a park so you know it is only used by the community. There is also a pool for the larger area that is available. 5 miles in South is a bad part of town. Across the street North is farmland and then a very nice, cute town that I have always wanted to live in. So, the address says Stockton, but the neighborhood is really Lodi. The school district is Lodi. There is a gate and fence around our neighborhood to keep it safe.
Big landing above the stairs
This house is big, 3 times the size of my present home. When I was walking around it made me want to walk around, rather than my house that makes me feel like sitting down and not wanting to be in the house. My present small home is kind of embarressing to live in. I don't like people coming to visit. The big house I saw I couldn't wait to pick up the phone and invite people to come visit me! I wanted a yard, but when I had a small patch of grass I didn't water or mow it often and let it go. I ended up putting gravel over that area.
Side yard, always shady.
So, if I had grass I wouldn't put in the work to keep it nice. I am also not home very much during the school year so I would neglect the yard any way. There is a beautiful park 2 blocks away if I wanted to sit out on the grass. So, even though I had only looked at houses for less than a week I put a bid on it, 3 times what my mobile home was worth and they countered for me to add $7000 and I did and they accepted my offer. Now that I bought a new house I need to sell my mobile home. I have been talking to a mobile home realtor for the past 6 months telling him I wanted to put it on the market.
Park near my new house.
At the same time I called my bank to get pre-qualified I had that realtor come over and put my home on the market. When he came he told me the price of my home went up $5000 in the last month. I put it on the market and in the past 3 days I have had 4 - 6 people come to look at it each day. The realtor tells me my home is the cheapest on in the area and the space rental fee is the cheapest. He expects to get an offer for the amount we want within 2 weeks. This is all going so fast it is unbelievable. My whole attitude towards life is changing. I am seeing my future as I control it rather than having no control!


1 comment:

  1. Wishing you many happy years in your new home.

    ReplyDelete