Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What happened to Vollunteerism in America?

Many years ago people used to volunteer often in America. If we had time we would do things for others or for the community because it made us feel good. Now we don't want to do anything unless we get paid. I don't understand what happened to this country. I know one difference is more mothers are working so they don't have time to volunteer in their child's school. There are many liability problems these days so many organizations can't have people volunteer. It just seems sad that the only way we can get high school students to volunteer is require them to do it to graduate.
I think one of the strengths of America over the years is the spirit of volunteerism. This week I have been volunteering at my daughters school. Another lady is there as much as me. One lady comes in a couple of days. No one else has come in this week even though the PTA has asked all the parents to come in. What has happened to this country?


2 comments:

  1. You might be surprised by this article.


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/national-volunteer-rate-2011_n_2286869.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the problem is I live in California!!

    ReplyDelete