Total Pageviews

Monday, August 26, 2013

Monthly doldroms

19 students this month
I teach a certification class every month for people that want to teach English as a Second Language in other countries.I teach 3 weekends a month, get one weekend off, and then start the next month. I really enjoy teaching this class and know I am helping  them improve  their lives. Even though this class is only 6 days the students get very close and it becomes a family. I have had people cry at the end of the class because they had become a close knit group. I teach them how to build a team and show them a few techniques on how to do it. As I am demonstrating this approach the students are binding into a solid group.
Kimberly walking around like a zombie
I try not to become part of this "family" because they need a leader and someone to help mold them. They have this experience once, and I have it once a month. Every class asks me if they were my favorite, just like children do, and of course I tell each class that they are my favorite. I have a few classes that are very memorable and many that I don't really remember (I have taught over 35 classes). What no one knows is the drive home from every class is very difficult for me. I feel a void because I go from having people that are important to me suddenly disappear and just an empty space. I know they are better for the experience and will always remember the class, but live moves on and people are off and doing things.
Jacqi marching to a different drummer
I don't move on. I sometimes keep in contact with my old students, but most of them I don't know what happens after my class. This is the day after my August class is over and I feel in the doldrums. I feel like I was just separated from my family and I hope they will all be good with their futures. I know that void will soon be filled by another class of students and I know I will miss this class for a long time. I will write specifics about the class later.
Sonia was teaching how to do the Salsa
When I realized this feeling was coming over me I was reminded of how I felt when my three daughters would come for the weekend and then leave to go back to their mother's house. I felt like there was a void in my life. It was filled then it was empty. I didn't expect that feeling to happen with my classes, but it does. Classroom teachers have that feeling once a year at the end of the school year, I have it once a month.
Mark having a sucker

No comments:

Post a Comment