Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

In a different state

Today was my first traveling for the new year and I drove to the State of Jefferson. This is an area in northern California and southern Oregon that decided they wanted to be a 51st State. I like using a small s rather than a capital S because the people in this area have a different state of mind. When I checked into the motel I asked the clerk if they think of themselves as a part of Oregon or California since they are in California, but Oregon is only 10 miles away.
The closest big city is Medford, Oregon which is an hour away and the closest big city in California is Redding which is 2 hours away. So when they go shopping they go to Medford. She said if she tells people she lives in Northern California they think Sacramento area so she just tells people they live in Oregon.They are very independent here and don't worry about politics and worry more about their neighbors than saving the world. I like the feeling of the area and i would be wonderful to live up here if I was a rancher or farmer.
The high schools are all less than 300 students and many include the middle school also. They don't worry about the overcrowded big cities nor about problems with guns or violence. I guess it is similar to life in Oregon or many Mid-western States. Sometimes I think it should be a different country not just a different State, but the people in rural areas are more patriotic than large cities so maybe those large cities should be their own countries and try to survive without rural areas. That would wake them up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment