Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 13, 2013

First day of July class

I started a new class today. On the weekends I teach a certification class to people that want to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) in other countries. I really enjoy teaching this class. On the first day I always do the same thing. I give out the books for the class and tell the students they will have 5 presentations over the 3 weekends. I tell them what they will teach the next day and what I expect them to do. We then read about Little Teddy Stoddard and we talk about what makes an effective and ineffective teacher.
After lunch I do a lesson for my students so they know what an esl lesson looks like. I then use what I did in that lesson to teach how to do they things I need to reinforce for them to teach. I talk about ESA (Engage, Study, Activate) and how they need to incorporate each of those parts of the lesson. I talk about teaching to all the learning styles, audio, visual, tactile, every time they teach something.
We then talk about the different levels of ESL in a school and how to teach diverse classrooms. The student then have to go home and have about 5 hours of homework. They need to do lots of reading and prepare for teaching a class tomorrow including writing a lesson plan. Tomorrow I will write about what they do the second day.

No comments:

Post a Comment